Monday, July 14, 2014

Dogs and Avocado's



We had interviews with the new president, President Corbitt. He is incredible. He is very intelligent, loving and funny. I really enjoyed the interview; it felt like a warm-up exit interview. He has already made quite a few changes in the mission and is transferring missionaries even though we are in the middle of a transfer. It is interesting to see how smoothly things transition even though he has his own take. The work moves forward.
We received a referral this past week of someone named Louis. I called him and set up an appointment. He sounded young on the phone. He lives in a part of our area that is really poor and far; we had to take a bus to get there. We live in a rich area so it was a bit of a shock for my companion. It was my first time in this area so we had to ask everyone for directions. We were given wrong directions and were searching on the wrong street but found the right house number. It just so happens that the man that lived there was also named Louis. He was about 80 and didn’t have any teeth. When we saw him, I just thought, what a reference. We shared with him and the whole time he smiled his toothless smile at us- he was the cutest old man. When we were leaving I asked him if we were on street #11 and he said we were not. We left his house laughing and the Louis search continued. Everyone tried to point us in the right direction even if they didn’t know where it actually was. They would send their kids to show us. Then the kid's friends would see us and join our little mob. We accumulated quite a lot of kids. We finally found him and had a wonderful lesson about the plan of salvation. His mom had just died a month earlier from Chickungunya.

So you know that awkward moment when someone is walking towards you and you both try to step the same way and then the other way and do that weird side to side dance? Well that keeps happening to me and the stray dogs. We keep doing the awkward trying-to-pass dance. It has now happened three times. It gives my companion so much joy and laughter.
Our only progressing investigator has disappeared off the face of the earth. I really have no idea where he went. It has been a little bit of a frustrating week because of all the tracting we have had to do and then no one went to church. The work is really challenging in this area and I am exhausted but still enjoying it.
It is avocado season and I am in heaven!!!! I eat an avocado every morning with my toast.
I’m sorry, I don’t know why but my pictures aren't sending. Love you all so much. Have an amazing week! Thank you for your updates.
Hermana Christensen

You will never have a greater or lesser dominion than over yourself... the height of a man's success is gauged by his self mastery, the depth of his failure by his self abandonment... he who cannot establish dominion over himself will have no dominion over others.
- leonardo da vinci




No comments:

Post a Comment